Saturday, February 14, 2009

Week 9, Thing 20, 21, 22 & 23

Well I guess you'd have to be living in a cave to not have explored YouTube. This is one of those things (like many of the Web 2.0 applications) that make my head explode in wonder. I tried pasting a YouTube video into the blog but kept getting an error message that told me to contact support. I'm pretty sure I followed all the correct directions. I tried a couple of different videos but couldn't get any of them to work. YouTube has so much potential as a teaching tool, but of course is one of those sites that my school districts blocks--it's too bad there isn't a way to have the application without having to worry about all the inappropriate content. With that in mind, I checked out TeacherTube--found a really inspiring !mylibrary!mylife video--a feel good about being a school librarian moment. TeacherTube is good because they are working hard to flag inappropriate content, but I didn't like how the ads pop right up on the video while you are watching it.

Some of the links in the podcast instructions are old, but I did get on and explore podcastalley.com. Found a couple children's books podcasts and sent one as an RSS feed to my Goggle Reader account. Don't know that I really have time to listen--mostly it's sifting through all the possibilities to find the podcast that makes me feel like it's a technology I can't live without.

I just received 65 free eb00ks from Follett but haven't had the time or courage to download them into the catalog, so thing 22 was good place to start exploring. I had no idea that so many books were available for free online. I'm still having trouble figuring out how to manage what you download. Maybe it's my age, but I still would prefer to read text on paper to reading it on the screen. Haven't tried the Kindle thing yet and I have a little prejudice against it because it feels like being disloyal to the traditional book :)

I have really enjoyed the Web 2.0 course. I found a lot of applications that I would like to explore in more depth and picture myself becoming a more organized, thoughtful web user. I particularly enjoyed the working with images and discovering all the possibilities there. The potential for motivating students with flickr, imagechef and other tools is fantastic. Librarything and Google.docs are two applications I will definitely use again. I'm pleased that I actually completed all 23 things and feel like it really helped me get up to speed on some of the new technologies.

I just completed the PA survey, but when I click "done" I get the message "blog not found." So I'm wondering if I've done something wrong. . .hmmmmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment